Sunday, September 9, 2007

Starting Out

Hi! This is my first post and I'm excited to see where this all leads...I've been wanting to do this for a while so just decided to dive in. I was unsure what name to use for my blog and then I was reading an article in today's paper about a new book on Mother Theresa's life, entitled "Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light."

While in India, in a letter estimated to be from 1961, Teresa wrote: "Darkness is such that I really do not see -- neither with my mind nor with my reason -- the place of God in my soul is blank -- There is no God in me -- when the pain of longing is so great -- I just long & long for God . . . The torture and pain I can't explain."

Over time, the Rev. Joseph Neuner, a spiritual adviser, helped Teresa realize her feelings of abandonment only increased her understanding of the people she helped, and ultimately, she identified her suffering with that of Jesus, which helped her to accept it.

Many people typically experience a "dark night of the soul" in the words of 16th-century priest St. John of the Cross, but never as long as the "whole working life" Teresa experienced. Some are saying that it's not "spiritual" that Mother Teresa struggled with her faith in this manner, but I find it somewhat comforting. Comforting to realize that a woman who walked as close as she did to God also had hard times makes me realize it's OK when I struggle also...

The book, "Dark Night of the Soul" is one of my favorite books of all time. When I first read it about 10 years ago, I was going through a very difficult time in my life. It was amazing how this author who lived more than 500 years ago clearly understood what I was going through in this day and time. To walk close to God daily but not sense the emotional touch of His presence is an incredibly difficult thing to do...thank God He holds on to us very closely during these dark times.

Anyway, I wanted to name my blog something that alluded to this experience, but exhibited the "bright side" of this experience...hence, "Bright Night of the Soul."


No comments: